Definition – What does Circle Pose mean?
In this pose, the forearms and hands are fixed in a supported headstand while the legs and feet walk in a full circle clockwise then counterclockwise around this fixed position. This requires the yogi to lift one leg over the other at the halfway point in the circle to continue the movement around.
On explains Circle Pose
Circle pose stretches and stimulates the whole body. Additional benefits include:
- Massages the abdomen and internal organs
- Energizes and rejuvenates the chest and lungs
- Stimulates the thyroid gland
- Opens the hips
- Elongates the sides and front of the body
- Provides relief from carpal tunnel syndrome
- Promotes a healthy spine and bones
Circle pose can be modified by performing half circle pose instead. Advanced yogis may enter it from headstand, while those who are less advanced in their practice may move into it from bridge pose. Wheel pose and headstand are good preparatory postures to build up to circle pose.